[HPADM] NO_HW device status for Ultrium drives

From: Brent Styer (bstyer@arh.org)
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 09:36:50 EDT

I am having a critical problem with an rp7400 running HPUX 11i. This system
has two (2) Ultrium 230 tape units in a 5300 Tape enclosure. Yesterday an
operator mounted tapes in both of these and returned in a few minutes to
find that all of the indicator lights on the enclosure were flashing red.

Resetting the power on the front of the enclosure did not accomplish
anything, but actually removing the power cable briefly did. The drives were
usable for a very short backup operation. However, a full backup resulted in
the same problem. An HP CE was sent out last night and I believe he replaced
at least one of the Ultrium units (I am still trying to get in touch with
the CE). At any rate, the system was in the middle of some critical
month-end jobs so the box could not be rebooted.

This morning neither tape unit is accessible. An ioscan results in a status
of NO_HW for both of these devices. It does not appear that either SCSI
address on the tape devices has changed. The enclosure is not displaying
flashing red lights. I am assuming they are appearing in the ioscan because
the system knows that they were there before, but is unable to talk to them
now.

My Question: will a reboot resolve this issue? Is there anything else that
can be done to resolve this without rebooting? The system is currently being
used by 500+ users and a reboot is always a problem, but we must have a
backup soon. In fact the area used for database journal file backups will
likely run out of room if we cannot run a backup. Does anyone have any
suggestions or insight? Thanks.

Brent