[HPADM] Expect on HPUX 11.0

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Mon Jan 30 2006 - 10:54:37 EST

Hello Everyone,
I seem to be having a problem getting Expect install on my HP systems. I downloaded the source from the Porting and Archiving Center for HPUX but am having trouble getting everything to compile and load. I also downloaded tcl8.4 and tk8.4 and had trouble getting them to compile. The configure ran ok on both tcl and tk but the make on tcl failed with the following:

        gcc -shared -o libtcl8.4.sl regcomp.o regexec.o regfree.o regerror.o tclAlloc.o tclAsync.o tclBasic.o tclBinary.o tclCkalloc.o tclClock.o tclCmdAH.o tclCmdIL.o tclCmdMZ.o tclCompCmds.o tclCompExpr.o tclCompile.o tclDate.o tclEncoding.o tclEnv.o tclEvent.o tclExecute.o tclFCmd.o tclFileName.o tclGet.o tclHash.o tclHistory.o tclIndexObj.o tclInterp.o tclIO.o tclIOCmd.o tclIOGT.o tclIOS
ock.o tclIOUtil.o tclLink.o tclListObj.o tclLiteral.o tclLoad.o tclMain.o tclNamesp.o tclNotify.o tclObj.o tclPanic.o tclParse.o tclParseExpr.o tclPipe.o tclPkg.o tclPosixStr.o tclPreserve.o tclProc.o tclRegexp.o tclResolve.o tclResult.o tclScan.o tclStringObj.o tclThread.o tclThreadAlloc.o tclThreadJoin.o tclStubInit.o tclStubLib.o tclTimer.o tclUtf.o tclUtil.o tclVar.o tclUnixChan.o tclUni
xEvent.o tclUnixFCmd.o tclUnixFile.o tclUnixPipe.o tclUnixSock.o tclUnixTime.o tclUnixInit.o tclUnixThrd.o tclUnixNotfy.o strtoll.o strtoull.o tclLoadShl.o -ldld -lxnet -lm -Wl,+s,+b,/usr/local/lib:.
/usr/bin/ld: DP relative code in file /var/tmp/ccSEwtxI.o - shared library mustbe position
    independent. Use +z or +Z to recompile.
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error exit code 1

When running the make on tk I get the same type error. I am not sure where to put this +z or +Z they are refering to.

Any idea what is going on here. Has anyone installed all of this on HPUX 11.0? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix/Storage Systems Administrator
Schnuck Markets, Inc.
* Direct (314) 994-4784
))( Cell (314) 691-0186
      Fax (314) 994-4684
* E-Mail jnaylor@schnucks.com

The information transmitted (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s) or entity/entities to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.