[HPADM] SUMMARY RE: Glance showing 100% disk I/O utilization incorrectly

From: Daniel Keisling (daniel.keisling@austin.ppdi.com)
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 15:39:11 EST

Thanks to David Totch, Seth Kaplan, Daniel Copeland, Steve Bonds, Bill Hassell, Kenneth Ray, et. al.: My understand of disk utilization was incorrect. One good explaination was: Disk Utilization is measured a bit differently than your current understanding...Disk Utilization is percent busy over the time period. If you are asking the disk to do something 30 of 60 seconds, you are 50% busy. The number you see in the Glance bar graphs also reflects the busiest disk during the interval (so it has the potential to flip from disk to disk). And when I say "asking the disk to do something", it does not mean a disk queue -- it means you have a request that the disk serviced or is servicing. So, your application can be asking the disk to do something 100% of the time, but number of kb per second is so low the disk array is still swinging in a hammoc slurping an adult beverage... I have started to look at disk queue length for better data on what I am researching. Thanks, Daniel ________________________________ From: Daniel Keisling Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:34 AM To: 'hpux-admin@dutchworks.nl' Subject: Glance showing 100% disk I/O utilization incorrectly Admins, I have several N4000 machines connected to an HP EVA5000 SAN. While watching glance, it constantly shows 100% disk utilization for the disk that is connected to the SAN. I get around 3500 I/O's per second, but I know it can do more. I'm assuming glance just doesn't know how much the SAN can send (neither do I), so it's reporting the utilization incorrectly. Is there anyway I can fix this? I do know the machine has not been patched in quite awhile. Thanks, Daniel ______________________________________________________________________ This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner.