[HPADM] SUMMARY: Striping and mirroring with FC10 using hp-ux 10.20

From: Jim Gray (grayj@erinet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 22:43:44 EST

I discovered the answer by combining info from the docs.hp.com website and
some older emails I had accumulated on this same issue.

First, since we have two fiber channels, each drive has two links. By
alternating disks for each of the 10 disks, we enforce splitting the
communications equally between channels. For example c9t0d0 and c10t0d0
refer to the same physical disk, c9t0d0 is the primary link, c10t0d0 is the
alternate link. For the next disk, we make c10t1d0 the primary, c9t1d0 the
alternate link, and so on and so forth.

Second. first we established two physical volume groups, using the
/etc/lvmpvg file:

VG /dev/vg01
PVG PVG0
/dev/dsk/c9t0d0
/dev/dsk/c10t1d0
/dev/dsk/c9t2d0
/dev/dsk/c10t3d0
PVG PVG1
/dev/dsk/c9t4d0
/dev/dsk/c10t5d0
/dev/dsk/c9t6d0
/dev/dsk/c10t7d0

The following creates a logical volume in vg01 with EXTENT-BASED MIRRORED
STRIPES:

vgcreate /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c9t0d0 /dev/dsk/c10t1d0 /dev/dsk/c9t2d0
/dev/dsk/c10t3d0

lvcreate -D y -s g -m 1 -L 512 /dev/vg01
Logical volume "/dev/vg01/lvol01" has been successfully created with
character device "/dev/vg01/rlvol01".
Logical volume "/dev/vg01/lvol01" has been successfully extended.
Volume Group configuration for /dev/vg01 has been saved in
/etc/lvmconf/vg01.conf

lvdisplay /dev/vg01/lvol24
--- Logical volumes ---
LV Name /dev/vg01/lvol24
VG Name /dev/vg01
LV Permission read/write
LV Status available/syncd
Mirror copies 1
Consistency Recovery MWC
Schedule parallel
LV Size (Mbytes) 512
Current LE 64
Allocated PE 128
Stripes 0
Stripe Size (Kbytes) 0
Bad block on
Allocation PVG-strict/distributed
IO Timeout (Seconds) default

If you then do a lvdisplay -v /dev/vg01/lvol1 you will see the extents
striped across all of the disks and mirrored. Note that to mirror, you must
have Mirrordisk/UX installed (which we do).

You can check to see that the load is really equally split by using either
"iostat" or "sar -d".

Hope that helps. I can help anyone who needs assistance with in the future.
Happy Holidays.