[HPADM] SUMMARY: vgdisplay - problem disk

From: Gilles Schipper (gilles@gsainc.com)
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 10:54:58 EST

Thanks to Bill Beardshaw, Rita Workman, Kevin O'Donovan, and Marc
Ahrendt (and any others I've unintentionally omitted).

My problem was vgdisplay complaining about a missing disk following
faulty disk replacement:

# vgdisplay -v /dev/vg07
vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c1t0d0":
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to
this volume group
vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't query all of the physical volumes.

This repeated for each logical volume on /dev/vg07.

The system continued to operate normally but this problem prevented
successful creation of a current ignite tape.

Most suggested vgcfgrestore. Some suggested more intensive vgexport
and vgimport.

The solution turned out to be a simple:

vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg07 /dev/rdsk/c1t0d00

It took quite a while before I could successfully complete this
command because I first needed to deactivate the volume group.

Once I was able to find an appropriate window, I completed the following:

1. backup /dev/vg07 after shutting down all informix processes (just
to be safe).
2. dismount all logical volumes containing file systems in /dev/vg07
(umount lvname)
3. deactivate vg07 (vgchange -a n /dev/vg07)
4. perform the vgcfgrestore (vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg07 /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0)
5. re-activate the volume group (vgchange -a y /dev/vg07)
6. remount the logical volumes (mount -a)
7. reboot (this is optional, but I wanted to make sure everything was ok.)

After completing these steps, I was able to complete the ignite tape
and the warning messages accompanying the vgdisplay did not recur.

Of course, any files or raw data contained on the replaced disk
needed to be replaced. But in our case, that was not an issue.