[HPADM] lp spooler hung on specific queue

From: Connie.Zolg@dana.com
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 10:44:09 EST

We are running HPUX 11.0 and are having issues with the lp spooler. When a
large number of reports go to a specific queue, it hangs. I have checked
kernel parms (maxuprc, nproc, nfile, ninode) and all seem to be plenty
large enough. The user disables/enables this particular queue fairly
frequently when it stops printing - usually works. About once a week it
doesn't. We end up moving the reports to a disabled queue, then moving
everything in /var/spool/lp/request/queueid to another server and
printing them in groups of about 100. If we try to print everything at
once, it hangs there also.

This appears to be a volume problem, but we can't find anything more to
change in the system in order to accomodate this large volume of reports
(there were around 800 the last time it "broke".)
Suggestions to the user:
  - don't put thru so many at once - they can't seem to control this
  - get more printers to split up the load - we can't force this - it's
an application that has been outsourced to someone else, although we are
still supporting the server that it runs on.

Thanks ...

Connie Zolg
Dana Corporation
Global Information Technology Group
connie.zolg@dana.com
419.482.2158
419.367.2827 (cell)
This e-mail, and any attachments, is intended solely for use by the
addressee(s) named above. It may contain the confidential or
proprietary information of Dana Corporation, its subsidiaries,
affiliates or business partners. If you are not the intended recipient
of this e-mail or are an unauthorized recipient of the information, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
of this e-mail or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original and any copies
or printouts.

Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the
presence of viruses. Dana Corporation accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

English, Francais, Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Portugues:
http://www.dana.com/overview/EmailDisclaimer.shtm