[HPADM] lsof doesn't show nfsd? - what is /dev/udp?

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 16:10:43 EDT

OK - Just asking for curiosity. We were trying to install a SW package
that requested a range of ports and gave it a range that included 2049.
It failed because 2049 is apparently in use by nfsd. We found this in
"netstat -an" and then found 2049 in /etc/services.

However if I run:

lsof -i :2049
It finds nothing. It should have shown me the process (nfsd) that had
this port open.

If I run:
lsof |grep nfsd
It finds no sockets but does show entries such as:
nfsd 7776 root 4u STR 22,0x800c3 0t0 84
/dev/udp->nfsm->udpm->ip

So I'm assuming it is somehow using the /dev/udp to open the port.

My question is why wouldn't it show me 2049 in lsof? How would I know a
port was open on this /dev/udp and moreover how would I know what was
using it? Is there something that would tell me this if it weren't
defined in /etc/services like nfsd?

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Unix Systems Administrator
DS Waters of North America