[HPADM] RE: backup problem

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 12:38:07 EDT

Its telling you that the end of the tape was reached. It is prompting you to switch tapes then type in the device name to continue. If you hit null (type in nothing and hit enter) then it is canceling the backup according to the message. Instead you're supposed to type in /dev/rmt/1m after you put in the 2nd tape.

I'm assuming you truncated your output because of course you should be getting quite a bit more than 41 blocks (assuming default block size of 20 as tar does) on any tape drive I've ever worked with including the old DC6150s. DLT8000 should be able to do 40 GB uncompressed.

Perhaps DLT8000 expects you to specify a blocking factor. You might want to look at the -b flag of tar and documentation for the drive itself.

Also - if you're using /dev/rmt/1m it is the automatic rewind device. You shouldn't need to do mt -t to rewind it.

/dev/rmt/1mn would be the no rewind device - typically for large tapes and small backups you'd use the no rewind so that the next time you put in the tape it would add another backup at the point the first one had left off rather than continually overwriting the first backup.