[HPADM] Questions about an huge filesystem (one Terabit = 1000Gb )

From: JY.Torres (john_yves_torres@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 05:03:34 EDT

Hi admins!

I need your advises regarding a huge file system dedicated for all Oracle files.

The history :

One year ago, an RP7410 was installed in the purpose to use a tiny database (20 Gb) located on a XP1024 bay. Suddenly, Hp increased the size of the database VG to this value 200 Gb.
But, a few days ago, an architect asked HP to apply a new sizing (1200GB! ) .
As you know, HP guys were stuck with all limitations given the first time, when they built the VG structures. That means, just 16384 PE for a vg. Indeed, they used the magical tool (vgmodify) to enlarge those criterias, w/o results. The tool did not work.

So, they just created in a lv, a big file system 1000 Gb (type VxFs) , for all .dbf file, redo log , archive logs.. w/ no possibility to extend it, and 200 Gb in an another lv. The total size of the datas is expected to reach only 600 GB.

Questions :
============
 - Are there any known problems about using huge file systems ?
  - Is the command fsck still working , in case of inode failure (I know there is an I/O cache somewhere, but if some inodes are corrupted, is it possible to recover the situation ??
  - Is the command fsadm still working ?

- What are the arguments I could use if I would ask them, to rebuild from zero the server in a proper way ?

thanks by advance

Cordialement, Kind regards, Yours sincerely
+33[0]-613-477-747 Private Fax : 1-425-740-1864
JY.Torres -- Systems Consultant in Unix production environments --
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited. Looking ffwd 2 the Iged expression's style. Tolem.