[HPADM] Anybody setup PXE boot?

From: Ayson, Alison (alison.ayson@roche.com)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 15:47:39 EDT

Ok, here I am asking another sort of non-HP-UX admin question.

Does anyone out there have experience setting up PXE boot, particularly
with RedHat Linux? We are implementing a RedHat Satellite
patch/software up2date server and I'd like to setup up remote kickstart
installations, etc. The problem is that I'm told DHCP must be running
on your Satellite server. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I do
know that DHCP must be configured to allow PXE boot, and therein lies
the problem. Our DHCP server is not under our (the unix team's)
control. It's actually maintained by a network team in Basel,
Switzerland.

I'm embarrassed to admit my absolutely abysmal understanding of DHCP,
particularly it's setup and configuration. Unforunately, as all DHCP
and DNS setup/configuaration/administration is done out of Basel, my
skills in this area are sorely lacking.

So, here are some questions:

1) Does anyone know if you MUST have DHCP running on the same server as
your PXE server?
2) Is it possible to have a private DHCP server for a small subset of
IP address? (I'd assume not as I believe that a DHCP server broadcasts
to the whole network it supports). I think the only way to create a
"private" DHCP server would be to have a completely private network,
which we can't do.

I realize that my questions are sort of vague, but that's due to my
ignorance on this subject. If anyone has a good reference book to
recommend, I'd appreciate that info too.

  -- Alison

P.S. All of our Linux boxes are running RedHat AS 3.0 or WS 3.0, and
all the hardware is HP DL380's or DL360's.