[HPADM] Using > 2G files with Oracle 9i on Veritas FS

From: James J. Perry (jjperry@water.com)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 12:09:49 EDT

We have an Oracle 9i DB running on a cooked VXFS. The DBAs have limited
file size to 2GB even though we are running with largefiles enabled. My
thoughts are that from the OS and VXFS side there is no issue. From the
Oracle size there should be no issue as 20 GB file appears the same in
the DB as 10x2GB files, at least as I understand it.

I would greatly appreciate the thoughts and suggestions of the pros/cons
of running Oracle 9i with files > 2GB.

Here is our configuration:

8420 VPAR: 14 CPU (1GHz) , 64GB RAM, 2xA9784A 2GB FC/GigE Combo.

OS: 11i + 11/04 Gold Pk.

VxFS: 3.5 + Patch 08

Oracle: 9i + E-Business Suite

Storage: Symmetrix 8830