[HPADM] Re: SUMMARY - ftp to external sites not working

From: vinod kumar (vinodkumarmp@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 05 2005 - 22:06:19 EDT

AS most the people suggested , it was a firewall issue
. There was a firewall rule applied to one the NAT's
IP address for this server . After removing that ,
ftp found working fine.

Thanks everyone who replied for this query . Their
replies are gievn below .

**************
Always eliminate DNS problems by trying
to reach the location by IP address:

Name: ftp.hp.com
Addresses: 192.151.52.187, 192.6.165.119

Bill Hassell

**************

Incorrect DNS resolution setup could be the cause.

Best regards,
Edward

***********
Sounds like a routing restriction (your ftp port is
blocked)
that was put into a router somewhere.
I'd be calling my networking guy and questioning what
has been done
in the router table or firewall to block this server.

Just a thought,
Rita
*************
Most likely, it's your firewall blocking you. That's
the first place
I'd
check anyway. Depending on the make and model of the
firewall, as well
as
its rules, any number of things could be blocking you.
It could be a
firewall rule. Or it could be the firewall not
correctly understanding
the
inbound ftp connection (although unlikely with a
modern firewall). It
could also be the ftp server itself using (or not
using) PASV ftp (also
unlikely).

Bottome line, I'd check with your network folks and
see if there's a
chance there's a firewall between you and any external
ftp servers.

Hope that helps,
Roy
**************
Could you check the DNS status ?

try nslookup
try nslookup oracle.com

If your not getting proper output check following .
/etc/resolv.conf
DNS entries are there or npot
/etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts: file dns