[HPADM] Re: RE: help with a script - condition to check the size of t he file and initiate ftp

From: cbeerse@gmail.com
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 08:51:58 EDT

BAKHSHESH Kazem wrote:

> Hi

> INF=pop
>
> x=$(cat $INF | wc -c)
1: redundant use of `cat`. You could have used `x=$(wc -c $INF)` or `x=$(wc -c <
$INF)`.
2: redundant use of `wc` at all: the test is about the file size which the
command `test` can read from the filesystem without the need to read the file.

> if [ $x -ne 0 ]; then
> echo "You can lunch the ftp command"
> else
> echo "$INF is empty"
> fi

A little more nice:

#!/bin/sh
# ftp /path/to/file if it is not empty
transferfile=/path/to/file
if [ -s ${transferfile} ]
then
        ftp ${transferfile}
else
        echo ${transferfile} is empty.
fi

##
Its all in using the `[` command. Yep, never forget, `[` is just an other name
for the command `test`. You can see `man test` for all options they accept and
use them with the `[` in `if`, `while` and such.

CBee