[HPADM] SUMMARY Re: Upgrading N4000 from 4 CPUs to 8

From: Daniel Keisling (daniel.keisling@austin.ppdi.com)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 16:39:35 EDT

Thanks to Ben Le and another one of my HP CE's for explaining the problem:

Some N4000 (A3639B) systems that have 8 CPUs installed have experienced
failures that cause processors 4 and/or 6 to be de-allocated or cause an
OS panic or HPMC (e.g. data page fault panic). This problem has been
traced to the clock chip that generates the clock signal for processors
4 and 6. In some A3639B systems, this chip is not operating within
design specifications. The clock chip can be made to operate within
specifications by reducing one of its supply voltages. Only processors 4
and 6 in the A3639B systems are affected by this problem. The A3639A and
A3639C systems do not use this component, and are not subject to this
problem.

Clock drift between pairs of CPUs is a secondary effect on systems with
less than 8 CPUs install.

Daniel

Daniel Keisling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last weekend, I upgraded my N4000 box from four CPUs to eight. My HP CE
> brought what he called a "trim card" to install on the motherboard. He
> said this was needed because rev. "B" of the N4000 motherboard had
> problems with eight CPUs installed. Can anyone shed any other info on
> this? Better yet, I would love to have a FAQ/White paper/TID on this
> issue. I searced hp.com and couldn't find anything.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Daniel

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.