[HPADM] SUMMARY: Restoring patches on a DR Server

From: Stocker, Nick (Nick.Stocker@logicacmg.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 11:47:42 EST

SUMMARY
=======

In short, use Ignite!!! I have had lots of useful replies most (if not all)
tell
me to use Ignite. I will plan on doing this from now on. It seemed a good
idea
at the time letting someone else build the basic system for me but in
hindsight...
not so good.

If anyone else has anything to add, please don't hesitate to drop me a mail
as it
all helps.

MANY THANKS to all who replied.

Cheers,
Nick Stocker - LogicaCMG.

ORIGINAL POST
=============

Hi everyone,

Recently I carried out a DR (Disaster Recovery) Trial of a system and
although we got there in the end, I wasn't completely happy about one
particular area - that of patches.

The system was built (OS, basic sofware levels, volume groups and
filesystems) before we arrived on site.
We then had to install backup software in order that we could restore
files from tape.  We did NOT make use of an Ignite backup.
We only restored part of the OS, i.e. files which were necessary for the
system to mimic the production system, such as the /stand/system file to
build a kernel with required kernel settings etc....

However, and this is this is the bit I wasn't 100% sure about, we were
advised that if we restored the directory /var/adm/sw/save and rebooted
this would automagically install/configure any patches which had been
installed on the production system. I have to say I had my doubts about
this and so wasn't surprised when it seemed to fail to work.

We later tried restored ALL the OS areas EXCEPT for certain files
(ioconfig, netconf, etc...) but this again didn't solve a problem which
required a patch being installed.  We actually ended up downloading
patches off the HP web site to fix this problem which isn't ideal for a
DR.

I am guessing that even after restoring all necessary binaries there were
still patches that hadn't been loaded into the kernel.

So I think the question I need to ask is:

QUESTION: How do you restore patches to a DR system and get them built
into the kernel?

Should we in future use an Ignite tape?  Obviously there are advantages to
having the system pre-built like this but if you go down this route, how
do you get patches on the system and into the kernel?

I would very much appreciate your views on this.

Cheers
Nick Stocker.

<< Attachment Removed : Notebook.jpg >>