[HPADM] RE: SUMMARY: rw as part of hostname for NFS export

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 08:42:43 EST

It appears there is no solution for this one although there are
workarounds.

Based on the responses I reread my original question. Although the
detail below it was a little clearer I see that the initial question was
phrased badly. It should have been:

Is there a way to export a CD filesystem to a host that has "rw" in its
name (e.g. HOST: norw01) and not have exportfs think it is the
read-write option?

It appears many people thought I was asking about a filesystem named
norw01 as opposed to a hostname of norw01. (Despite this I suspect the
issue would be the same either way had it been a filesystem.)

In any event no one had an answer. Basically the man page for exports
makes it clear you can't have the ro and rw options on the same line.
Unfortunately it appears that whoever wrote the checking routine for
that simply looked for "rw" anywhere on the line (embedded or not)
rather than checking to see if it was the "rw" option itself.

Also there was some discussion about why I would have the hostname in
the line since it isn't required for a CD mount. The reason for this
was that the CD had a file with read/execute permissions for root but no
group or world permissions. This meant I HAD to export it with the
"root=hostname" option or the target host couldn't execute the file on
the CD as it wouldn't have had root access to the mount.

Workarounds for this would be:

1) Use the IP address (root=x.x.x.x) and insure that the IP address
can't be resolved into the real name.

2) Put the CD into the drive of the host with the offending name
(norw01) and mount it locally.

3) Craig Johnson suggested using netgroups might work but I didn't try
this.

Thanks to those who responded:

Craig E. Johnson

James Bankston