[HPADM] HP CIFS and smbpasswd file

From: Johnson, Craig E (craig.johnson@siemens.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 16:19:34 EST

The 2.2.8a version won't work when using an older smb.conf file, denying
access, and in the logs I see references to "can't find
/var/opt/samba/private/smbpasswd file". So, little reading shows that in
order to use POSIX ACL's, you have to use this file in the newer versions of
Samba. I don't really care about POSIX ACL's, I just want this to work the
way it used to, validating users based on either the Unix or the Windows
account.

I did manage to get access, but I had to create the smbpasswd file and then
manually change my password using the executable "smbpasswd". This isn't
going to work for the environment I have. Short of installing an older
version of CIFS, is there a way to make the new one validate users the way
it used to, and not use this "smbpasswd" stuff? Thanks!

Craig Johnson
Siemens Communications, Inc.