[HPADM] RE: - SUMMARY - 1000Base SX Fiber Ethernet A4926A

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 11:29:44 EST

Thanks to all that replied. I checked and tried every suggestion but I
still did not get a link light either on the 4926 or the switch. the
hpgelanconf file was OK and the switch and 4926 matched on all parameters.
I ended up having to do some maintenance on the HP and did a re-boot and all
of a sudden I was able to get a link light. Not quite sure what happened as
I have re-booted this HP in the past with this card installed. Anyway it is
now working and I am able to ping beyond the 4926. Once again, thanks to
all. Here are the suggestions.

Gerardo Oliva
Try without auto-netogiation, I think that those gigabit cards work only at
half-duplex, please try half and full duplex, but without netotiation.

Marc Ahrendt
turn off auto-neg on both the card and on the switch port
        ...set both to full 1000
we have no issues with our A4926As on our Cisco LAN (Catalyst 6500s i think)

Richard Goodwin
something basic - have you tried swapping the adapter ends?(L to R, R to L)

Check to see if the MTU size on the switch and the card match(attribute
HP_GELAN_MTU) values are 1500 or 9000.

here a sample /etc/rc.config.d/hpgelanconf file that works for us:
HP_GELAN_INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan3
HP_GELAN_STATION_ADDRESS[0]=0x00306E2E57C8
HP_GELAN_AUTONEG[0]=1
HP_GELAN_FLOW_CONTROL[0]=0
HP_GELAN_SEND_MAX_BUFS[0]=16
HP_GELAN_RECV_MAX_BUFS[0]=1
HP_GELAN_SEND_COAL_TICKS[0]=1000
HP_GELAN_RECV_COAL_TICKS[0]=0
HP_GELAN_MTU[0]=1500
#HP_GELAN_SPEED[0]=AUTO_ON

we run these two scripts to get the cards working(same scripts that system
uses at boot time)
/sbin/init.d/hpgelan start
/sbin/init.d/net start (assuming you have netconf cfg'd with the new
interface IP/subnet, etc.)

Rick Favro
        We had to setup the /etc/rc.config.d/hpgelanconf file before the
attributes would "stick". Here is the entries in our file:

<< SNIP Comments >>

# The HP_GELAN_INIT_ARGS are reserved by HP. They are NOT user changable.

HP_GELAN_INIT_ARGS="HP_GELAN_STATION_ADDRESS HP_GELAN_SPEED HP_GELAN_MTU
HP_GELA
N_FLOW_CONTROL HP_GELAN_AUTONEG HP_GELAN_SEND_COAL_TICKS
HP_GELAN_RECV_COAL_TICK
S HP_GELAN_SEND_MAX_BUFS HP_GELAN_RECV_MAX_BUFS"

HP_GELAN_INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan1
HP_GELAN_STATION_ADDRESS[0]=
HP_GELAN_SPEED[0]=
HP_GELAN_MTU[0]=1500
HP_GELAN_FLOW_CONTROL[0]=1
HP_GELAN_AUTONEG[0]=1
HP_GELAN_SEND_COAL_TICKS[0]=1000
HP_GELAN_RECV_COAL_TICKS[0]=0
HP_GELAN_SEND_MAX_BUFS[0]=16
HP_GELAN_RECV_MAX_BUFS[0]=1

# End of hpgelanconf configuration file

Here's an ioscan, showing our 1000Base-SX adapters ( lan1 is the only
1000Base adapter configured on this box ):

ioscan -fnC lan
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
lan 0 0/0/0/1/0 btlan CLAIMED INTERFACE HP PCI 10/100Base-TX
Core
                        /dev/diag/lan0 /dev/ether0 /dev/lan0
lan 1 0/0/6/0/0 gelan CLAIMED INTERFACE HP A4926A PCI
1000Base-SX Adapter
lan 2 0/0/12/0/0 gelan CLAIMED INTERFACE HP A4926A PCI
1000Base-SX Adapter
lan 3 7/0/0/1/0 btlan CLAIMED INTERFACE HP PCI 10/100Base-TX
Core
                        /dev/diag/lan3 /dev/ether3 /dev/lan3
lan 4 7/0/14/0/0 gelan CLAIMED INTERFACE HP A4926A PCI
1000Base-SX Adapter

We don't use the types of switches you are using, though.

Craig Johnson
I have three of these, one of which is quirky (in an
N4000). I have seen the N4000 lose all connectivity over the A4926A yet
look like it was perfectly happy on the outside. Thanks.

Jeff Cleverley
I'm a little confused on some of this (not hard to do) but here's a couple
of
things I remember doing when we got ours running.

In the /etc/rc.config.d/hpgelanconf file, we have this:

HP_GELAN_INIT_ARGS="HP_GELAN_STATION_ADDRESS HP_GELAN_SPEED HP_GELAN_MTU
HP_GELA
N_FLOW_CONTROL HP_GELAN_AUTONEG HP_GELAN_SEND_COAL_TICKS
HP_GELAN_RECV_COAL_TICK
S HP_GELAN_SEND_MAX_BUFS HP_GELAN_RECV_MAX_BUFS"

I seem to recall we had to modify something in here even though it says they
can't
be modified. I'm assuming that this is the 1000, full, Auto settings
mentioned
above. I don't remember what we had to tweak. You might try modifying
accordingly. Watch out for the word wrap.

As for the light not working, you may want to try reversing one pair. Our
cables
often don't have the connector keeping them paired correctly. Try plugging
the
left one into the right and the right one into the left on the card or
switch, but
not both.

I'll assume the card shows as claimed and the A4926A driver installed.

Jim McDonald
Are you sure you have the cable patched correctly?
Is the cable OK ?
Suggest - connect another device into the end of the cable - see if that
connects OK

David Moy
Most common thing is to have the switch set to switchport mode access and
then make sure it does not try to negotiate trunk mode.

Edward
I'm certainly no expert in this area, but here's what I would check.
You do use a 1000Base certified cable to connect the two?
Needless to say you cannot use your regular Cat5 cables for 1Gbit lan.
Are you using the same IP-range and netmask settings on both?
Perhaps the Cisco needs to be configured for this lancard as well, it may be
filtering MAC-addresses?

Usually no link light means no physical connection. As they say, "let the
LED be your guiding light".

Cindy Yoho
I would change both the switch port and the NIC in the server to NOT use
Auto Negotiate, this on HP's advice. Have you tried using a different port
on the cisco? Maybe the port is bad.

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix/Storage Systems Administrator