[HPADM] RE: -SUMMARY- root login with remsh and securetty

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 15:49:19 EST

Thanks to all for the responses. Original question at bottom. Most agreed
that you just need to put an entry in root's .rhosts file as follows:

mainframe_name mainframe_user_name

This seem to work fine. I was under the assumption that this would not work
because of the securetty but that is not the case.

As pointed out by Eef Hartman:
remsh (but NOT rlogin) is restricted by the root users ".rhosts", not by
/etc/securetty (that is for INTERactive shells only!).
So if you put into the root .rhosts file JUST the single line
<mainframe.domain> root
then THAT machine can use "remsh" and "rcp", but still NO rlogin.

Rather than:
<mainframe.domain> root

I did:

<mainframe.domain> mainframe_user_name