[HPADM] Booting from alternate logical volumes and disk sync behavior

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeffc@ftc.agilent.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 13:30:33 EST

Greetings,

We are going to be patching some critical servers tomorrow. The patches
have been tested on lesser systems with no problems, but they also don't
have all the apps/drivers the servers do such as fibre channel, gigE,
OnLine JFS, etc.

We do have make_net_recovery images, but we know these will take at
least an hour to run, and we have 6 servers to do. We have the root
disks mirrored and all systems are running 11.00. We came up with a
couple of possible quick failovers, but we are not sure about a couple
of things.

1. Pull the alternate path disk that houses half of the mirror before
patching. If the patching doesn't work, reboot from the alternate path
disk and then add the primary path disk in. The disks are set to boot
without quorum. The question is will the primary path disk sync to the
alternate path disk or will the alternate try and sync to the primary?

2. Do an lvsplit of lvols 1,2, and 3 and re-sync if all goes well. The
problem with this is how would you boot and will hpux boot with logical
volumes lvol1b, lvol2b, and lvol3b. It looks like I could do something
like "ISL > hpux /dev/dsk/c3t5d0 (;1) /stand/vmunix since lvol1 would be
the first partion on the disk.

If we have to use the make_net_recovery we will, but we're hoping to
minimize the downtime for the users.

Thanks,

Jeff