[HPADM] SUMMARY: How does one boot into single user on rx1600?

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 14:15:16 EST

>From the responses I fear my question wasn't phrased well. Essentially I
wanted the ability to initiate a boot via remote console in the same way as
one does when doing a Ctrl-B & RS (Reset) or Ctrl-B and TC (TOC) rather than
having to have someone actually power cycle the box by hitting the power
switch. (Doing this as for example when the system is in a hung state so
that one can't login and run the shutdown command.)

ORIGINAL QUESTIONS:

Is there an equivalent to ctrl-B for the rx1600?

If not is there a way to do a reset and interrupt boot to go to single user
without having to physically power it off an on?

SUMMARIZED RESPONSES:

Bob Vance responded with what I needed to know. The short answer is that
one CAN do ctrl-B on the rx1600 (and other Itanium servers) so long as they
have the Management Processor (MP) Card installed. Failing that no one
knew of a way. (Guess who doesn't have the MP? :-( )

Several folks mentioned the EFI which is the utility used for selecting what
to boot on Itanium. I'd discovered this on my own but couldn't see a way to
get to it without physically hitting the power switch on the box itself. As
noted above there isn't a way without the MP. The resources I'd seen
talked about the EFI but didn't relate that or reboot to the MP so until Bob
mentioned it I didn't know about this as an option. Once mentioned I was
able to find details about the MP quite readily.

Rita Workman sent a link that talks about this a little for the rx1620:

http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/integrity/entry_level/rx1620/specificati
ons.html
<http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/integrity/entry_level/rx1620/specificat
ions.html>

Jim Lonksi took the trouble to send the interactions within the EFI so I'll
include that for the archives:

EFI Boot Manager ver 1.10 [14.61] Firmware ver 3.21 [4335]

Please select a boot option

    HP-UX Primary Boot: 0/0/2/0.2.0 <== press ENTER here to start
booting

- - EFI Shell [Built-in]

    Boot Option Maintenance Menu

    System Configuration Menu

    Use ^ and v to change option(s). Use Enter to select an option

Starting: HP-UX Primary Boot: 0/0/2/0.2.0

(c) Copyright 1990-2003, Hewlett Packard Company.

All rights reserved

HP-UX Boot Loader for IPF -- Revision 1.73

Press Any Key to interrupt Autoboot <== press spacebar here to interrupt
auto-boot

\EFI\HPUX\AUTO ==> boot vmunix

Seconds left till autoboot - 9

   Type 'help' for help

HPUX> boot -is <== Boot HPUX to single-user mode (same "-is"
option as PA-RISC)

> System Memory = 16372 MB

............................................ (complete)

........... (complete)

Launching /stand/vmunix

SIZE: Text:22079K + Data:5436K + BSS:3801K = Total:31317K

Console is on a Serial Device

Booting kernel...

Thanks to those who responded:

Bob Vance