[HPADM] RE: -SUMMARY- FTP to or from MVS mainframe problem

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 15:42:09 EST

Thanks to all that replied. First of all I must apologize for the invalid
transfer rates I indicated in my post. I indicated Mb/s when in fact it
should have be Kb/s. Most everyone said to check the duplex and speed
settings to make sure the HP9000, Cisco switches and Mainframe are all hard
set to the same speed and duplex and do not use auto-negotiate. We did find
some connections using auto negotiate. The mainframe was changes to 100FD
with auto-negotiate off along with the switch and HP9000. This did improve
the rate of transfer from 35 kb/s to 140 kb/s. However we did find out that
the Mainframe FTP module buffer size was set to 180K. This was casing the
mainframe to fall behind in packets and actually dropping packets. Our
mainframe people were able to edit this module and set this to 32K. This
improve our transfer rate to 1.2M/s on the same file. Larger files got even
a faster transfer rate. By setting this buffer to a lower capacity, it
cause the mainframe to send ACKs more often and not fall behind. This may
not be the best explanation as I am relaying this from our Mainframe
experts. Once again thanks for all the responses.

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix Systems Administrator
Schnuck Markets, Inc

*Direct: (314) 994-4784
*))Cell: (314) 691-0186
*Fax: (314) 994-4684
* jnaylor@schnucks.com

***ATTENTION***
If you have received this message in error please call (314) 994-4784. This
message (including any attachments) contains proprietary and confidential
information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected
by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this
message and any copies immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or
distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is
strictly prohibited. Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed
to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer
system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free, and no responsibility is accepted
by Schnuck Markets, Inc. for any loss or damage arising in any way from its
use.