[HPADM] DVD busy

From: Mark Fearer (mfearer@cox.net)
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 22:41:20 EST

 Greetings. We have a K class running 11.11. A user/customer got a Veritas
CD stuck in the DVD-ROM. It was still mounted and readable, but would not
eject. I assume that this user knew to unmount the CD before trying to eject
it, but I do not know that. Anyway, a service call was placed with the
vendor and the DVD drive was removed and replaced. In testing the new
DVD-ROM, we tried an HP application media DVD and an HP operating system CD.
Neither could be mounted. We got the error that the device was busy. We
tried to mount from the command line and via SAM. Same thing, 'device busy'.
We tried several different moint points. A 'bdf' and a 'mount' reveal
nothing pertaining to the DVD drive.
 What might I look for? What processes might be doing this? Oracle and
Veritas are on this machine. It is possible that the 'stuck' CD was still
mounted when the machine was taken down for the service call to replace the
DVD drive. Even if it were, wouldn't a shutdown have unmounted it?
 Thank you in advance....
Mark