[HPADM] Odd system performance

From: Stephanie Chung (stepchung@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 00:15:10 EDT

Here is the situation that we can not figure it out.
One of the system (N4000 HPUX 11i) gets very slow
response to the Oracle process requests. The slowness
starts at 4:00pm and goes away around 8:00pm every
day. During this slowness period, we do not see any
running away or jobs running or any unusual processes
in the system. I have never seen this system gets the
average load more that 3.0 in the last 3 years. These
days it gets the load up to 9.0. We all (Sys Admin,
DBA, Application Analyst, Network and Others) are
scratching our heads for the last 5 days. Here is the
information of this system.
- This system is hosted as Oracle and Banner
Application server.
- Nothing changes in the system in the last 2 months.
- Patches are up to date.
- An average 60-80% usage.
- An average of 50-60% memory usage.
- An average of 400-600 Oracle processes in the system
(average 20-40 processes running at one time, the rest
sleep)
- No running away processes found in the system.
- No unusual processes running on the system.

We reboot the system and it stays good performance for
couple days. Then the slowness happens again after
that. We can not afford to reboot every two days. I
need your help to let me know where to look in the
system for performance problem. I am thinking about
system kernel parameters but don’t know what to change
to improve the performance. Any suggestions are
appreciated. Thanks.

Stepahnie