[HPADM] RE: -SUMMARY- NFS over TCP

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 13:31:05 EDT

Thanks to the quick response from Mikko Nahkola as follows. He was correct
implying that I need verification that I had done everything I needed. We
ran a test and everything looks good. Original question is at the bottom of
this e-mail.

Mikko
---------
I'm not sure what your problem is, I'll assume you just want to verify
that it works?

Going by what I did to make it work once ...

Now, assuming you have cycled the NFS service down and back up after
adding the NFS_TCP=1 option in nfsconf ("/sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop ;\
/sbin/init.d/nfs.server stop ; /sbin/init.d/nfs.server start ;\
/sbin/init.d/nfs.client start", reboot, or whatever), then it should be
available by default and should work already.

For existing connections you can verify this with netstat, if it shows
connections to/from nfsd in the tcp section, it's working already.

For new mounts, um, "mount -F nfs -o proto=tcp server:/share /whatever"
will not mount anything if it can't do it by tcp, at least on my 11.11
test box, like this:

# mount -F nfs -o proto=tcp oldserver:/export/foo /mnt/bar
nfs mount: getaddr_nfs: oldserver: NFS service not responding(retry
delay=5s)
nfs mount: retry: retrying(1) for: /mnt/bar after 5 seconds
nfs mount: retry: giving up on: /mnt/bar

Without the -o proto=tcp, it mounts that one just fine with UDP.

It seems that in this case, the -a option for nfsd doesn't seem
necessary for it to accept TCP connections. Checked with
'ps -elfd |grep nfsd' and they don't seem to have it even though
that box seems to export its NFS shares on TCP too. But that's 11.11 and
not 11.00. Here, adding it seems to require tweaking the startup
scripts (/sbin/init.d/nfs.server specifically), which isn't usually
recommended; or else setting $NUM_NFSD to something like '-a 16'
in /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf, also nasty.

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix Systems Administrator
Schnuck Markets, Inc.