[HPADM] Killing hung Process

From: brian irvin (brian944us@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 18:55:22 EDT

Team:

We have a monitoring script (which will run at every
30 Seconds), we will check for a java process.
 If the process is present, the script will take the
elapsed time for the process from the "ps -ef"
output. The logic is if the process's elapsed time is
more than specified time, the script will kill the
process. We observed that the
elapsed time of hanging process is not incrementing as
expected. ( Its different than what we observed while
testing using the dummy hanging process). So the
process is getting killed after long hours( 3 hours
last time instead of 5 minutes).

Could someone Let me know the best method to identify
a hanging process and kill it. ps -ef and picking the
elapsed time is not working. Any other
ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards