[HPADM] Dead Disk recovery

From: Gary March (G.March@nib.com.au)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 09:29:19 EDT

After an extended system downtime, one of my disks appears to be corrupted upon system restart . It belonged to a volume group (vg02) which was comprised of 8 physical volumes. When I run sam and look at all the disks, the offending disk is shown with 0 Mb instead of 9 Mb.
A 'vgdisplay -v vg02" fails with errors such as :

vgdisplay: Warning: couldn;t query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c1t15d0":
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to this volume group.
vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't query all of the physical volumes.

I have a spare disk I could use to replace the faulty disk, but am unsure how I can successfully delete and recreate the volume group and its logical volumes. All attempts I have made fail when trying to address the dodgy disk.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Gary March
Unix System Administrator
NIB Health Funds Limited
384 Hunter Street
Newcastle NSW 2300
PH. 02 4921 2466

Fax 02 4925 3548
Mobile 0418 412 390

E-mail: g.march@nib.com.au

The information transmitted in this message and attachments (if any) are intended only
for the person or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information, by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete this email and associated material from any computer,
The intended recipient of this email may only use, reproduce, disclose or distribute
the information contained in this email and any attached files, with the permission of
the sender.