[HPADM] Summary: shutdown and poweroff L-class and N-class

From: Corné Beerse (cbeerse@lycos.nl)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 09:59:29 EDT

Corné Beerse wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to issue a shutdown that also does a poweroff on the
> L1000, L2000 and N4000 machines? If so, how can that be issued from
> HP-UX 11.0?

4 out of 7 replies indicate there is no poweroff option from a shutdown. Most
mention the power-command in the gsp (^b at the console to enter the gsp and
`pc` to switch the power)

`shutdown -i 5` was one, not tried, option. On our HP-UX 11.0, the -i option is
not documented and not recognized.

`shutdown -hy 0` comes close but does not flip the switches.

In the end, Bill Hassell convinced me that I don't want a total poweroff: it
also disables the lanconsole.

> Background: the current UPS will be changed and during a poweroutage, we
> like to save power for the realy needed systems by switching others off.

Since the OS is down there is no use of disks and such. Hopefully they stop
spinning. That will reduce the heat generation and hence stop the blowjob of the
fans. So powerconsumption will most likely take place.

Since the gsp is accessable from the inside of the OS and its powercontroll can
be timed, I think about writing a little script that is called from the OS at
the verry last moment that will issue a poweroff after 1 or 2 minutes.

If someone can point me to example scripts to access the gsp from the OS and
realy issue some commands in there, I will post a resulting script for
interesting collegues.

CBee