[HPADM] Re: Summary/Additional question: disk and file system help

From: Roy Kidder (RoyKidder@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 11:25:53 EDT

Roy Kidder said:
> I'm new to HP-UX and am trying to wrap my head around the concepts of
> volume groups and logical volumes versus partitions as well as the
> different local file systems that HP-UX supports.
> ..
> ..

I got quite a few good responses to this and I think I'm starting to
understand. Thanks to everyone who responded. There's an addition to the
question below the summary, if anyone would like to field that one. ;)

Physical volume = a physical hard drive

Volume group = a group of PVs

Logical volumes = space allocated out of a VG (partition, for lack of a
better word). Can be a file system, or swap or dump space. Exist entirely
inside a VM, but can potentially span multiple PVs within that group.

File systems: HFS (non-journaling), VxFS (journaling), raw (databases,
etc). For 11.00 (OS on my machine) must have /stand on HFS.

Additional question:

With regards to redundancy, how do I go about setting up a software-level
RAID set? I've read that HP-UX supports the two types I'd be interested
in: RAID 1 and Raid 5.

Thanks again,
Roy