[HPADM] RE: disk and file system help

From: Lodge, David (David.Lodge@capitalone.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 10:48:58 EDT

It always takes a while to wrap your head around LVM, but its quite simple:

1. Physical Volumes (PV): These are either hard discs or a RAID group that
represents one device to the system - these can be seen on an 'ioscan' as
(for example) /dev/dsk/c0t5d0.
2. Volume Groups (VG): These are a collection of one or more PVs; these are
to allow a greater flexibility in management of disc space, and to aid with
clustering, for example if you had 2 databases on a system you may make one
VG for database1 and another for database2. The volume group is a directory
under /dev which contains a group file which defines the major and minor
numbers
3. Logical Volumes (LV): These are what are actually used as by the system,
these may be either raw partitions (eg for use by a database) or have a
filing system on.
4. Filing System (FS): These are placed on LVs. These are what you mount.

For mounting the new disk; check the vgscan manpage as this will read the
LVM information from the disk and will allow you to reinsert it back into
the system

HTH

dave