[HPADM] Sendmail oddity

From: Johnson, Craig E (Craig.E.Johnson@icn.siemens.com)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 16:51:26 EDT

I had an unusual problem yesterday when one HP 11.0 server suddenly could no
longer send any mail. After about an hour of fiddling with it, I noticed
that the /etc/resolv.conf file was pointing to a different DNS server than
the other machines. Changing it to match the others fixed the problem.

Here's what it was doing. Though I had specified a relay in sendmail.cf, it
wasn't using that one, rather, it was using another one that I have no idea
how it even found. Because it connected directly, and wasn't setup to
properly rewrite the "From" address, the server was denying the mail and
bouncing it.

I suspect that someone modified the MX records in the DNS server that was
incorrectly specified first in resolv.conf. Does this sound plausible? I
know that sendmail and DNS have a fairly intimate relationship that isn't
always obvious.

This presents a fairly major problem in that if my own DNS server ever dies,
then all the mail is going to bounce, since the DNS server I had incorrectly
put first is typically specified second. Any help is appreciated.

Craig