[HPADM] Summary: EMC Experience

From: Justin Willoughby (jwilloug@mhc.net)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 08:29:18 EDT

I got a number of pretty good responses to this question and others on
this subject.

Most everyone thought that EMC makes very good storage servers. As was
mentioned by one or two people this subject is sort of a "religious war"
type of question. It was indicated that OPS runs fine on the Symmetrix
storage servers.

At least one person mentioned that EMC's software is buggy and not to
use the latest release of any of there software if possible.

Sounds like over all if we go with EMC we should be just fine and some
suggested that the EMC Symmetrix is much better then the IBM Shark or
other similar storage servers.

The one I am still a bit concerned about is that there are very few
published performance tests on EMC storage servers (as EMC is very
restrictive in this area). Anyone know why EMC does not participate in
the same benchmarking as other storage server vendors?

- Justin

==================
 Justin Willoughby
 Computer Operations
==================

attached mail follows:

I hope this is not too much off topic.

We have AIX and HPUX servers. We have been using a IBM ESS Shark but
are now also looking at EMC, specifically the DMX 800. Can anyone that
uses the DMX 800 share their experience with this storage server? The
vendor did a live web demo of the management software for their DMX
servers and it looks pretty impressive. What I am most interested in is
any one that has had problems with their EMC storage service or any
performance issues, or praise.

Thanks,

- Justin