[HPADM] How do I remove an HP UNIX server from SAN?

From: SAbramson@Wabtec.com
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 09:42:12 EST

All:

We are going to disconnect/shut-down an old HP UNIX server in the near
future. It is connected to the SAN:

HP UNIX Server ------ Connectrix------Symmetrix

What steps do I have to perform to do this?

Here is what I was thinking had to be done (at least):

1. Remove Volume Access from all volumes to HBAs with ESN Manager/symmask.
2. Remove Zoning from HBAs to FAs with ESN Manager.
3. I can leave HVs presented to FAs, because the next server could use
them, but I will probably remove presentation to put old HVs back in "free
pool".

Here is what I was wondering:

1. Can I "Un-Access" and "Un-zone" with server down? Or do I need Server
up, so that the the HBA responds to probes from the Connectrix Switch. I
know that you can't zone a switch until the HBA driver is installed and the
HBA is talking.

2. Are there any EMC documents on "removing servers from SAN". I have
procedures for adding server to SAN, but not removing an entire server from
SAN.

3. Can I leave Fibre cables "dangling" from Connectrix to old HBAs? Is that
allowed? Unterminated?

        Stuart

Stuart Abramson | WABTEC Corp. | Wilmerding, PA
Off: 412/825-1434 | Cell: 412/417-1567 | email: sabramson@wabtec.com

***** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE *****
The content contained in this e-mail transmission is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named herein. If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.