[HPADM] [SUMMARY] Anyone using Fibre Disk Unit DS2405?

From: David R Antoch (dantoch@csc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 15:37:22 EST

Admins,

Thx to those who responded....

John Adams
Craig Johnson
Tom Myers
Marc Ahrendt

Regards,
Dave A

-----Original Message-----

Admins,

I've just purchased a Fiber DS2405 (JBOD) unit....dual
Controllers.... and will connect it to my 'new' RP5470 (with 2
HBA's)... 11i/Dec 2003 patches.

The 2405 has 8 drives, and I plan to mirror the LV's.. ending up with
4 big LV's ....pretty basic stuff.... I would think PV links are in order
for the redundant paths.

Now, this is my first Fibre Channel unit *ever* on an HP. I'm
reading the manual :)) to familiarize myself with the Hardware Path and
disk addressing standards for the FC disks....

 Do I have to use any FC specific configuration utilities? ...or is
the LVM configuration all that is necessary, once the HW is seen by ioscan?

Any setup or configuration info is appreciated....

Here's some excerpts from the replies:

The big "gotcha" is always the driver for the fibre channel cards, but
that got better after 11i, so you should be fine.

Once the devices are seen, you manage them just like SCSI disks, with
the LVM tools.

About the only new tool you really need is fcmsutil, and that's just to
check the status of the fibre channel card devices since they don't
understand lssf.

---------------------------------

Just make sure the FC MICS are tightly snapped together. I had a problem
with a FC based Network Appliance where I simply bumped a cable and took it
down for half a day. Didn't realize the connector wasn't installed
correctly. Easy to miss.

----------------------------------

We also added a ds2405 to an rp5470. Once the current drivers were
installed for the HBAs, the drives looked just like any other JBOD (with
redundant paths). We used alternate device names when building the volume
group so the primary connection to half the drives comes through each HBA
(even to one, odd to the other). Since it was for an Oracle database, we
used extent striping across all the spindles, hence the two PVGs for
mirroring.

$ vgdisplay -v vg02
--- Volume groups ---
VG Name /dev/vg02