[HPADM] Summary Updating Service Guard Cluster info

From: Julian Rogan (Julian.Rogan@Unilever.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 09:34:40 EST

The short answer is that I do not need to add the name of the volume group
in the cluster definition binary just the control script. However I will
need to ensure I make the volume group cluster aware manualy i.e by using
the vchange -c y command.

Many thanks to all who replied. Some of the replies I have included below:

regards,
Julian

Replies:

RadhaKrishnan Venkataramanan:

   Yes - if you want to activate thru cluster you have to put it in ascii
file and then do cmapplyconf then only
   the volume group will be activated using vgchange -a e (exclusive mode).

Stuart Abramson:

   When adding a new VG, you must vi the cluster definition ascii file and
   replace the cluster definition binary file by running cmapplyconf.

   In older versions of MC/SG, such as yours, you must shut down to do
this.
   In newer versions of MD/SG you can do it online.

   Here are directions:

   ADD A VG TO A CLUSTER

   1. The first thing you have to do is set up the new VG on both
        nodes of the cluster as described above:
        o Create the VG and LVs on one node
        o export the map file, etc, to the other node,
        o Make a new /dev/vgXX entry on other side
                - mkdir
                - mknod
        o vgimport
        o check strings /etc/lvmtab

   2. vi the cluster ascii config file to add the second VG.

   4. vi the package cntl file to activate the VGs and LVs.

        Of course, there is no point adding a VG if you don't need any LVs.
        So, you will be adding LVs as well.

   5. Copy cluster config file and package control scripts from primary
        to adaptive node.

   6. Then test it with cmcheckconf.

        If you modify the cluster config file, you must run cmapplyconf,
        because the cluster config file is a required input parameter to
        cmapplyconf.

        The package control script is pointed to by the package config
        script,
        which is a cmapplyconf input parameter. So you don't need to run
        cmapplyconf if you are only modifying the package control script.)

   7. You must shut down the cluster to run cmapplyconf.

   8. run cmapplyconf against the new cluster config file. I run this on
        the primary node, but you can run it on either node.

   9. Restart the cluster.

sundararajan.swaminathan:

      Nope, the cluster/package need not be down to add a new volume
     group.

    Create the volume group as you do in tha non-MC-SG cluster.

    Export the volume group configuration from one node to the other
    node.

    # cmgetconf -v -c cluster_name output_filename

    # vi output_filename

    VG[#]=/dev/vgname

    # cmcheckconf -v -C output_filename

    # cmapplyconf -v -C output_filename

    Make changes to the package startup script and add the volume group
and the file system mountpoints.

    now u manually activate the vg and mount the logical volumes

Vince Taylor:

The only reason the volume group is in the cluster config binary file os
for
info about the cluster lock disk I think. If you want to add another VG to
the cluster, as long as it will not act as a cluster lock disk volume
group,
then you can just add it to the scripts (on all nodes), enable it for
clustering (vgchange -c y <VG>), activate it and use it. YOu can also add
logical volumes into the scripts on line too, as long as you ensure that
they are mounted before a failure occurs.