[HPADM] Summary: NIS question

From: Doug Wyatt (dwyatt@kohlmansystems.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 00:20:14 EST

My thanks to Srinath Rajagopalan, Navin Jain and Praveen, for
their helpful and on-target responses.

The problem was on Dax, where I'd put a '*' in the password
field of the '+' entry. This is apparently recommended on Sun
and possibly Linux, to prevent passwordless logins with the
userid '+'. But on HP's, the '*' in the password field just
prevents logins for accounts deployed via NIS. Making the
change to the last entry in /etc/passwd, now '+::0:0:::',
enabled logins for the entries delivered to Dax via NIS.

Again, thanks!

Doug Wyatt

The Question: