[HPADM] Reserving tcp/ip ports

From: O'Donovan, Kevin (Kevin.O'Donovan@acs-inc.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 11:28:56 EST

Hi,

I have a user, with 2 machines, and an application on each machine that
wants to communicate with the application on the other machine, via tcp/ip.
However none of the processes involved use the /etc/services file. So,
machine X has App1 running on it, machine Y has App2 running on it, App1
wants to talk to App2 over tcp/ip.

Basically what I need to do is prevent other processes from using the ports
these applications want to use, is there any way of doing that? Short of
writing a C program that listens at a port, and a wrapper shell script to
terminate/run that process when it needs to use/reserve those ports...

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.