[HPADM] Performance question on rp7400's and xp256

From: Duncan, Jay (JDuncan@fnly.com)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 13:08:50 EST

I have management %-| asking why a program runs in 5 min. on one rp7400, and 20 min. on another rp7400, ok fair question, now I have to try and answer them. Here's the info:

I have two rp7400's (8way, 32GB each). They are connected to an XP256 (5TB disk, 8GB cache). There is a 600GB Business Copy that we split from System "A" and mount on System "B". Also, on this XP256 we have there are 4 other system connected using various amounts of disk. Half the XP256 is populated with the 36GB drives and the other is 73GB (R1 & L1).

After the "BC" backup is complete we start up the database's and apps on the "System B" and use it for a "Development" environment. Some of the developers have asked us why a program will run in only 5 minutes in the staging environment but in production it takes much longer, typically around 20 minutes... If we run a much longer program or a longer full batch schedule against both, they seem to be around the same.

I know it depends on what else is going on the systems, but we've tried to do some off-hour tests when nothing else is going on and we seem to get the same results. The kernels have been set exactly and both systems have been patched using the same patch bundle.

If my BC is sitting on the 36GB Drives (R1) would it be that much faster? Smaller drives, faster access/ throughput...
Also, that the backup was just completed on the BC system, is all the disk now cached? will it run faster?
The fact that on the 73GB (L1) side I have the production system (System A) and another big system (System C) using 1.3TB of disk.???

Also System B was an older N4000 that was upgraded to a RP7400, System A is a newer RP7400.

I need to drop a "comprehensive explanation" on managements desk, so any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
-jay