[HPADM] Multiple backups on one tape

From: Eric Hunter (ehunter@marsys.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 11:18:07 EST

Hey folks.

I'm having what seems to have been a common problem a few years ago
(judging by the search I just ran on the list archive) but I havent seen
a post since 1999 regarding this.

I have a single SuperDLT tape with which to backup a cluster of about 16
small development workstations of different unix/linux flavors. All the
drives at full capacity wont exceed one tape, so naturally I'm expected
to get them all on a single tape.

The drive is attached to a Solaris 8 box, and thus putting 4 ufsdumps
from Solaris at the beginning was no problem using /dev/rmt/0mn
no-rewind device. Then I moved on to the HPs and found out that fbackup
(according to the FAQ) will not respect no-rewind devices.

The accepted way (also according to the FAQ and the list circa 1999) is
to fbackup to std out ( -f -) and pipe to remsh remotehost dd
of=/dev/rmt/0mn with "a decent blocksize".

so mine looks something like:

fbackup -0v -f - -i / | remsh mlxsun3 dd of=/dev/rmt/0mn bs=64k
(there, now theres an example for the next poor soul who tries this.)

Its quite an ugly solution. Havent tried a restore yet.

Yes, I read that OmniBack and Legato can get around it, but my question
is; in the 3+ years since the list message was written, has anyone found
a better, FREE way?