[HPADM] Mapping Samba Share to XP

From: COUNTERMAN, DANIEL (CONTRACTOR) (DANIEL.COUNTERMAN@DFAS.MIL)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 09:51:36 EST

Thanks for responding. I was able to perform the nmblookup commands. However, I am still receiving the message:

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:

The specified network name is no longer available.

I am not sure what to do at this point, I have looked at the samba docs and nothing really describes this error message, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
Hello Dan,

It may be that the Samba server could not announce itself to the Windows
network or workgroup (Microsoft networks often use WINS or NetBIOS). By its
nature, every Windows client must join the same Workgroup or Domain that the
server does.
I've had a similar situation where a Samba server was up and running just
fine, except that Windows users could not see the server on the network. My
workaround was to use a different broadcast address.

First make sure your server is at least trying to announce itself properly:
Check the smb.conf file for 'workgroup = <workgroup name>' , 'netbios name =
<servername>' and 'remote announce = ...' and make sure they are correct. If
not, corret them and restart the Samba service.

Try the following statement on your Samba server:
   nmblookup -A 127.0.0.1

Is your system listed? Good, Samba is up. Now try
   nmblookup `hostname`

Do you get 'name_query failed to find name'? OK, then try
   nmblookup -B 255.255.255.255 `hostname`

If your server is listed now, you have the same issue as I had.

If this doesn't solve your problem, a good starting point is the Samba
mailinglist archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba

Best regards,
Edward