[HPADM] SUMMARY: How long for 'mediainit' to do its thing?

From: Whittemore, Dale (dale.whittemore@lmco.com)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 08:06:21 EST

Not that a summary is really needed but general consensus is from 1 to 3 hours.
One drive I did during the day yesterday took about 2 hours and I then did a display of disks in SAM and it showed the drive having its full 4gb capacity available. The system is a K260EG which is being idled and the drives were original equipment. Company procedure is to wipe, or scrub, any drives on a machine that is being idled.

Bill Hassell also provided the knowledge that several years ago 'mediainit' was changed so that mediainit just issued a command to the drive and then waited for the drive to perform its own initialization and bad block handling, which is handled by the drives firmware. While watching the system I did notice, using glance, that mediainit did nothing and the only time I saw any IO on the physical drive was during the format verification.

Thanks to Bill Hassell, Eric Mazur, Simon Crowther, Eef Hartman, Andy Cranston, and Julio Yamawaki for their responses.

Dale A. Whittemore
Computer Systems Analyst, Senior
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
Denver, Colorado