[HPADM] [SUMMARY] lpspooler Question

From: Ben Le (ble@pcc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 15:51:01 EST

First I would like to share one response for a gentlemen about my question
to the list. His respond to me was:

"Are you new at this job?"
  "I would think that a Sr Sys Admin would know how to use google rather
than spamming a mailing list"

He considers my question about lpspooler is a spam in his opinion. I don't.

Question: "error code 2 in request laser33-1612 on printer laser33"
  Thanks to edward.schernau@citizensbank.com, steveh@beechglen.com, Bill
Hassell
Solution:
1. You might want to restart the print spooler and use the "-v" option to
lpsched. That will put more information in your /var/adm/lp/log file...
>From /usr/include/sys/errno.h, error code 2 = "no such file or directory"...
Not sure exactly what might have happened - seems like the file that job
"caslzl-1612" was trying to print was gone when it went to actually print
the file.
The spooler stores the files to be printed in
/var/spool/lp/request/<printer> - have you had any problems with
/var/spool/lp? Anything in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log regarding
/var/spool/lp?
Let me know if these suggestions help at all - I'd also be happy to assist
in any other way I can...

2. There is no error listing because the error code was developed in the
printer script, so anything inside the script may have caused the error.
The lp spooler does no status checking whatsoever. It relies on the
output from the script to go to the printer. This gets more complicated
if laser33 is NOT a real printer but connected to some other computer
and you are sending the data to the remote computer to send to the printer.
If laser33 uses an HP JetDirect adapter card, you can use hpnpadmin -v
to look at the printer in detail.

3. SEACH THE GOOGLE!!!

Benjamin Le
Sr. Systems Administrator