[HPADM] Splitting Oracle DataBases "Live" with EMC TimeFinder/BCV "symioc tl" commands

From: Abramson, Stuart (SAbramson@Wabtec.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 09:46:49 EST

Hpux-admins:
Emc_list:

We currently shut down our Oracle Database to do a BCV split. We want to
move to "hot" BCV split. I found the "symioctl" command in EMC
TimeFinder/BCV manuals, and I have a few questions:

1. I must set environmnet variables:

export SYMCLI_RDB_CONNECT="username/password@service"
export SYMCLI_RDB_TYPE=Oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=/u1001/app/oracle/product/9.2.0
export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin

What username do I use? "sys", "system", what? What "service" do I use?
(This is the 9.2.0 Oracle.) (I can ask my Oracle DBA this question.)

2. Do I really need to "freeze" and "thaw" the database? If I'm in Backup
Mode, all transactions are going to the Archive Logs anyway...

symioctl begin backup -type oracle
symioct freeze -type oracle
symmir -g dgname split -instant -noprompt
symioctl thaw -type oracle
symioctl end backup -type oracle

3. The "symioctl begin backup" has an "object" argument. But I want the
whole database (every tablespace) to go into backup mode. Can I leave off
the arguments and have the whole DB go into Backup Mode (every tablespace).

4. Does anyone have example scripts for splitting an Oracle Database "live"
with symioctl?

        Stuart

Stuart Abramson | Off: 412/825-1434 | Cell: 412/417-1567 | email:
sabramson@wabtec.com

***** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE *****
The content contained in this e-mail transmission is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named herein. If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.