[HPADM] Cron help

From: Whittemore, Dale (dale.whittemore@lmco.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 12:11:46 EST

I think I know the answer to this one but I wanted to check with the rest of you.

Given the following line in the crontab file:

min hour dom mon dow script to run
00 18 1-7 * 0 /usr/local/bin/<script>
00 18 8-31 * 0 /usr/local/bin/<script2>

<script> will run at 6:00pm the first 7 days of the month then every Sunday there after?
I tried the above in the cron starting on 11/20 and <script2> ran from the 20th thru the 23rd before I caught it.

What I was hoping to accomplish is for <script> to run on the first Sunday of the month and have <script2> run the other Sundays. Is there a way, using the cron, to accomplish what I was hoping for? Buying a third party job scheduling package would be nice but is not an option at this time.
I have already modified <script> to do a check of the day-of-week and day-of-month and if it is Sunday and the day-of-month is less than 8, execute otherwise exit.

Thanks

Dale A. Whittemore
Computer Systems Analyst, Senior
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
Denver, Colorado