[HPADM] Cloning Oracle SID software ($ORACLE_HOME) with BCVs

From: Abramson, Stuart (SAbramson@Wabtec.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 16:02:00 EST

Hpux-admins:

> We used to "clone" our Production Oracle Instance to a BCV Reporting
> Instance by only "BCV-ing" the data files.
>
> We set up the oracle software on the BCV server for a SID called REPORT,
> and we left it there. Over time, REPORT didn't get patched, etc, and
> wasn't an exact copy of PROD.
>
> We now want to BCV the Oracle software, in $ORACLE_HOME as well as the
> data.
>
> So, I'm looking at changing SID names, port numbers, hostnames, file
> system names in the Oracle software directories from PROD to REPORT, every
> time I split the Oracle software:
>
> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initSID.ora
>
> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora
> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
>
> Is there an Oracle utility that does this for you?:
>
> OracleClone OLDSID NEWSID
>
> Does anyone have a list of the places that you have to change?
>
> Hasn't someone done this before?
>
> Stuart
>

> Stuart Abramson | Off: 412/825-1434 | Cell: 412/417-1567 | email:
> sabramson@wabtec.com

***** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE *****
The content contained in this e-mail transmission is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named herein. If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.