[HPADM] [SUMMARY] Tuxedo Problem

From: Deepak John Cutinha (deepak_cutinha@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 02:30:42 EST

Query :

My Tuxedo developers are gettign this error.
How do I go about checking for this problem and
what kernel parameters I need to tweak for thsi.

Expanation : (Thanks to Bill Hassell The Super Guru )

This is a LOT more complicated than a simple kernel
parameter,
especially if the Tuxedo applications are running as
32bit programs.

Start with the Tuzedo docs. They should explicitly
define the
required shared memory parameters for all Unix
systems. Note
that some applications (like Oracle) can request more
shared
memory based on startup configs. Adjust the shared
memory
values with SAM.

Next: all 32bit apps are incapable of addressing more
than 900megs
of shared memory without specialized compiler and/or
chatr options.
It is possible to address 1.75 Gbytes of shared memory
with special
compilation options. Read the details in
/usr/share/doc on 10.20 and
11.0 systems, specifically the mem_mgt.txt and
proc_mgt.txt files.
These will explain the severe limits for 32bit apps
(all limits
disappear with 64bit programs).

Finally: 32bit apps must share a single address space
with all other
other 32bit apps, so it is easy to run out of space or
to have severe
fragmentation due to programs starting and stopping.
The solution for
32bit programs is to use memory windows. In that same
directory, read
the file mem_wndws.txt(btw, I cud not find this file)
for details. You'll likely need patches to enable
memory windows. You'll also need the shared memory
mapper program
from
ftp://contrib:9unsupp8@hprc.external.hp.com/sysadmin/programs

We are now in the prcess of upgrading to 64-bit... ;-)

Thanks David Lodge for your pointers.

br,

Deepak Cutinha