[HPADM] queuing relayed messages in sendmail

From: shane_chartrand@yahoo.com
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 11:23:19 EDT

Is there a way to set up a sendmail relay server to
queue mail that it cannot send? Our configuration
looks like the following

sendmail -> sendmail -> exchange -> firewall
server A server B server C
              (relay)

At the moment, if the relay server (B) cannot pass the
message on to the exchange email server (C), it will
try passing a message back to server A. Server A
isn't configured to receive email, nor is it
configured to store outgoing email. So when B and C
can't communicate, the email is lost and not stored
anyware.

The reason we have server B, is because exchange puts
in the node name and IP address of our the email
server it communciates with into the email's header
section. This is fine for internal mail, but now that
we are using email to communicate with suppliers
outside the company, this becomes unnacceptable. If
anyone knows of a way to configure exchange to not put
in the ip address and node name, that would make all
these other senmdail configuration problems go away.

Any help appreciated. Will make summary.