[HPADM] [SUMMARY] Performace problems

From: Unternaehrer Stefano (stefano.unternaehrer@ti.ch)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 06:12:06 EDT

Thank you to all of you,
Quinn, Bryan [Bryan.Quinn@CooperTools.com]
Ilan Green [ilang@amdocs.com]
Abramson, Stuart [SAbramson@Wabtec.com]
Thierry ITTY [thierry.itty@besancon.org]
Bill Hassell [blhconsulting@mindspring.com]
mike.keighley@adarelexicon.com
Dave Ritchie [deritchie@yahoo.com]
Anil Rajapure [anil_unix1975@yahoo.com]

Question was:
> Our webserver still suffers with performances.
> This A500 server is running HP-UX 11.00, 1GB RAM,
> webserver TomCat3 (JSP - Java Servlets), JVM 1.1,
> reading on a remote Oracle database through
> the firewall.

I received lot of useful suggestions:

- install all neded patches (but all attempts to
  download patches from http://www4.itrc.hp.com/
  gave me corrupted files..);
- install JVM 1.4
- install Tomcat4
- install glance
- define PTHREAD_DISABLE_HANDOFF=ON
  (not tried, see PHCO_29108 for description)
- do some tuning on the hp-ux kernel:
  dbc_min_pct, dbc_max_pct, vps_ceiling,
  max_thread_proc, maxuprc, nproc
- do some tuning on the jvm usage:
  -Xms, -Xmx, -Xincgc
- start java with: rtprio <priority> java
  (this worked with TomCat3, ignored with TomCat4)
- do some tuning on tomcat:
  max_threads, min_spare_threads, max_spare_threads
- enable the java verbosegc option and analyse
  the trace files
- use tools such as HPjmeter, HPjtune, HPjconfig
- do some tuning on network trafic with ndd,
  tcp_conn_request_max
- help the garbage collector to free unused
  memory, by setting to null all obsolete objects
  created with a "new Class()" statement
  (not tied, hey, we have a lot of source files..);
- don't create new objects simply calling the
  constructor, but use instead an object distributor
  which will manage and reuse obsolete objects;
- have a daemon guardian wich will monitor and
  automatically restart tomcat if it crasches
- add RAM
- add CPU
- use a more powerful server as the A500 :-)
- ask the network administrator to solve net problems!

Lot of good idea, I've done most of them. We still have
some problems, I'm working with the last suggestion :-)
If you need more detailed informations on some point,
just write me.

Thank you and best regards,
Stefano

---