[HPADM] SUMMARY: Defrag VxFS Filesystems

From: Dave T. (davidlt77@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 16:08:38 EDT

I apologize for the late summary. I was out of town, I've been swamped--you
know how it is.

I have included all responses below, in the order in which I received them.
Thanks to all who graciously took the time to respond! My original post is
at the very end.

Following is what I'm doing:

1. To view the level of fragmentation, I'm executing `fsadm -F vxfs -DE
${FS}`. "-D" shows the level of fragmentation for directories, and "-E"
shows the level of fragmentation for extents. See `man fsadm_vxfs` for more
info.
2. I am defragmenting directories and extents of filesystems which have
excess fragmentation, with the exception of database filesystems. The
opinions I have received are that it's a waste of time--and possibly a cause
of problems--if I try to defragment database filesystems.
3. To defragment directories and extents with excess fragmentation, I am
executing `fsadm -F vxfs -DdEe ${FS}`. This shows me the level of
fragmentation for directories and extents before and after the
deframentation process. See `man fsadm_vxfs` for more info.
4. I am currently running the defrags on a development box during working
hours. It indeed does swamp CPU resources, so beware!