[HPADM] SUMMARY:Ability to Monitor System Temps?

From: Whittemore, Dale (dale.whittemore@lmco.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 08:55:22 EDT

Thanks to David Lodge, Jack Gallagher, Mark Summers and Bill Hassell.

It does not appear that there is a software way to record the system temperature. The GSP console command just says the temperature is NORMAL and does not let you know if the temperature is rising.

The Master, Bill Hassell, gave the best answer:

  "Not true at all. Older systems have *no* thermal protection and will
  meltdown before crashing. N,L,A class have thermal sensors that go
  off (generate a diagnostic messages) for early warning, disaster and
  will perform a shutdown above 100 deg F apx. NOTE: This is approximate
  and the processor will do nothing about tape drives and disks and
  printers that are melting in the same room.

  I find it ironic that thousands to millions of dollars of computer
  equipment is at risk every day because air conditioning is never on
  the critical list for redundancy and notification. Several people
  have asked me for a way to email a warning...but what if the email
  server is already overtemp or the network router is already dead?
  A simple chart recorder is much more useful than a rough-guess sensor
  in a general purpose computer.

  With so much at risk, I would get a proper tool to monitor and create
  non-ignorable warnings when temperatures are out of control. In most
  computer rooms, 100% loss of air conditioning means destructive temps
  in less than 5-10 minutes. I would always have an overtemp circuit
  breaker that pulls the plug on the entire room when temps go about
  90-100 deg F."